Are plumbers reliable? This question has crossed many people’s minds especially after hearing the horror stories of rogue plumbers running off halfway through jobs.
Plumbing problems like broken or leaking pipes can be a great inconvenience especially if you don’t know anything about fixing them. In such predicaments you have to call a plumber for help.
Sometimes, time is of the essence and this means making rush decisions to get the job done quickly. This gives rogue plumbers an opportunity to take advantage of the situation and dupe you off your hard earned money. When hiring a plumber, reliability is only second to competence in the most important qualities you should consider. So, how do you find a reliable plumber in a market ridden with cowboy traders? Here are some tips.
Looking through local business directories for a plumber or a plumbing firm then randomly selecting one is not highly recommended. The best way to find a reliable plumber is asking around for referrals from your family, friends and other building professional you are acquainted with. This way you will get testimonials you can trust. Make sure to inform the plumber of who recommended them.
Online recommendation services though not 100% reliable are also better than making a random choice. There are quite a number of sites which provide a platform for traders and customers to freely interact. It’s from such sites that you will find customer reviews and ratings that will help you make an informed choice on the plumber or plumber firm to hire.
Small important details
After getting a few recommendations, the next step is narrowing down to the best candidate for the task. Determining if the plumber is reliable may be difficult. It’s often easier just to go with your gut feeling but it is better to hold brief interviews or just have conversations with the few you have shortlisted and learn some small details about them. Some of the details you should consider include the following:-
– Experience – a novice will often lack the expertise and knowledge required to perform repairs both minor and major. Finding a seasoned plumber is often a safer bet.
– A valid license and insurance – A legitimate plumber is one that is registered with the local government. Unlicensed plumbers are more often than not bogus and inept. The plumbers insurance should cover any accidents that may occur during the repair. You do not want the hassle and expenses of getting the hired help the necessary medical attention yourself.
– Guarantee – Reliable plumbers have great belief in their work quality so much that they put their money where their mouth by offering money-back guarantee.
– Contact information and location – You should be wary of plumbers and firms that do not provide their work address since such are the kind who will disappear with your hard earned money having not completed the job.
– Written quotation – Written contracts are important especially for big job to offer you protection in case the plumber decides to default.
– Payment – always make sure to pick a plumber who agrees to take payment after the work is finished. Thorough investigations and precautions may seem excessive but they pay off. However, don’t take my word for it, the next time you have a plumbing catastrophe, follow these tips and I guarantee that you will have a positive response when asked the question, are plumbers reliable?